Marshall R. Young Sculpture Courtyard
The Marshall R. Young Courtyard, named for one of Albany's pioneer oil men was created to exhibit the Old Jail Art Center's 20th Century outdoor sculpture including American artists Jesus Bautista Moroles, the late Charles Williams, as well as post-WWII European sculptors Luigi Broggini, Pericle Fazzini, and Augusto Perez. Other important outdoor works of various media are installed throughout the museum’s grounds.
Marshall R. Young, Jr. was a valued Trustee and benefactor of the Old Jail Art Center for many years, serving most recently as Trustee Emeritus. He donated funds for the Sculpture Courtyard added in 1984 and named in honor of his father, an independent oil producer whose early oil strikes were in Shackelford County. Marshall Young, Jr. was an avid art collector all his life and lived most of it in San Francisco where he was a magazine publisher. At his death on January 4, 2001 he bequeathed four oil paintings from his private collection to the Old Jail Art Center: Eugène Boudin, Anvers, L'entrée du port, 1871; Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Nu couché, vu du dos, c. 1983; Henri Fantin-Latour, Nature morte aux roses, 1899; and Gustave Caillebotte, Paysage avec rivière, c. 1888. He also bequeathed a work on paper, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Au bal masqué-les fêtes parisiennes-nouveau confettis, 1892.